-
-
-
 

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Outlier

"People think I'm discipline. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference."
-Luciano Pavarotti

Warm Up

Strength/Skill
Snatch Pull 3-3-3-3-3

WOD
For time:
30-20-10-5-15-25 rep rounds of
Dead Lifts @ 155#
Box Jumps @ 24" box

Endurance
Run 1 Mile for best time


Outlier |ˈoutˌlīər|
noun
a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system : less accessible islands and outliers.
• a person or thing excluded from a group; an outsider.
• Geology a younger rock formation isolated among older rocks.
• Statistics a data point on a graph or in a set of results that is very much bigger or smaller than the next nearest data point.

My Dad and Mom gave me a book, this past Christmas, titled 'Outliers'. I've only just begun reading it, but already I've obtained a great deal of knowledge from it. To be honest, before seeing the title of this book, I'd never heard the word outlier. I certainly understood it's meaning though. The above definition is from Webster's Dictionary. I love the part, 'a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body'.

Simply put, think for yourself. I have always done my best to never let others ideals, opinions and expectations sway my train of thought or detour me from my goals. Those who speak words of doubt are simply stating their own fears. The majority will quit when it gets too tough, be idle when action is needed and agree with what is popular.

'A younger rock formation isolated among older rocks.'
Translation, a new idea.
"There are those (older rocks) who look at things they way they are, and ask 'why?'. I (younger rock) dream of things that never were, and ask 'why not?'."

Stand strong in your faith. In your ideals. In your goals. Be the younger rock.

Do not be a part of the 'main body or system'.

Become an Outlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment