-
-
-
 

Monday, August 10, 2009

Barefoot?

I'm constantly reading and hearing about barefoot training and running.
And for the last 6 months I've, at least twice a week, implemented it into my training.
My feedback, Thumbs up!
At first doing oly lifts, doing burpees or any other physically demanding movement felt extremely awkward. I found that once my shoes were off I felt a bit less able.
Now if that was truly a physical handicap that had been created from years of training with shoes on or if it was a mental thing, I can't honestly say.
But since I've been training barefoot, I've noticed a dramatic difference both with shoes on and off. I am now much more comfortable walking on almost all terrains (lava and glass shards are still a bit difficult) and very comfortable with all movements (clean & jerk, burpees, overhead squats, etc.).
Running barefoot is something I haven't ventured into yet, but I plan on it.
The reason I started doing it, was for the same reasons I started training with more functional movements and goal oriented workouts (CrossFit). What good are you if you can run a 5 minute mile or do a 60" box jump if you can't do them at a seconds notice. Not that either of those two stated aren't great achievements, shoes or no shoes. My point is that I train for what I call "In Case Sh*t", meaning that if I am faced with some sort of live threatening situation, mine or another, I want to be ready. And if such an event occurred around 2 a.m., well most likely I am asleep and last time I checked most people sleep barefooted, and if you're woken up suddenly and half to hall ass or move something heavy, those few seconds stopping to put shoes on and tie them may be the seconds that count. I know that that is a extreme way of putting it and that most of us in our life time luckily may not be confronted by such a situation, BUT "IN CASE SH*T" I want to be ready.
So to bring that detour back, I highly recommend training at least once a week barefoot.

One note of caution, I myself do not and also don't recommend doing any heavy power or Olympic lifts barefoot. Once you get into the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (max) type lifts I'd keep the shoes on.

These are a few websites with highly more reputable people discussing their facts, thoughts, agreements, and disagreements towards barefoot training and running.
http://www.crossfitsouthbrooklyn.com/

(this site has a lot of good info on running but it's all over the place)
http://runningbarefoot.org/

(Long but very informative)
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--6728-0,00.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment