-
-
-
 

Friday, August 14, 2009

Warm Up

Strength/Skill
Squat Cleans
1-1-1-1-1-1 (don't go above your 90% 1RM)

Rest 3 to 5 minutes

Workout
"DT, jr." for time
12 Dead Lifts
9 Hanging Cleans
6 Push Jerks
M @ 135#/ W @ 75#

Rest 3+ hours then

ENDURANCE/SPEED
Run 3x(200 meter + 400 meter + 600 meter)
Rest the exact time it takes you to do each interval in each set.
EX. 200m run in 35 sec. rest 35 sec
then 400m run, rest 400m time,
run 600m, rest 600m time, run 200m, etc.




This is an article by Lindsey Smith, a phenomenal athlete and the 5th fittest woman in the world.
She makes a very good point about training that I know I sometimes over look.

Commit

Yesterday's WOD was Linda:
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
Bench Press: body weight
Squat Clean: 3/4 body weight

Initially, I was really excited to do this workout. It was one that I had yet to do but instinctively, I love when I see olympic lifts posted on the main site. I convinced myself that I would do this workout as prescribed, with the exception of my weight for the bench press. I am still recovering from this micro-fracture in my right arm. Deadlifts would be my toughest lift, but after hitting a personal best at the Games, I assumed that I was ready for anything! Oh man... I was wrong.

This workout was so tough and I wanted to quit, shortly after I started. After my first set of deadlifts, I became more and more discouraged with each grueling lift. Coach Jim Kelly, of Atomic CrossFit, was standing nearby and must have seen the dejected look on my face and an already defeated demeanor in my body. I was struggling, big time. I was considering re-setting my bars, or perhaps, scaling my workout and decreasing by two repetitions each set. I was looking for an out, when I heard Jim say, "Commit to the Workout." He was absolutely right.

I was not going to finish, if I did not commit. I have never not completed a WOD and I decided at that moment that this was not going to be a first for me. My form got ugly, my time was awful, my hands were bloodied, my back was aching, but I finished. For my lack of accomplishment yesterday I have nothing to be proud of, other than the fact that I finished. Without commitment, I would not even have that. As much as I hated "Linda," she made me better. Improvement is not always based on setting PR's and flying through metcons at break neck pace. It's easy to commit to something that is enjoyable, but commitment to a task that may ultimately result in failure, a loss of pride, or humiliation is a true undertaking and a test of character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment