-
-
-
 

Friday, September 25, 2009

270 Seconds

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time." [When Surrounded By 8 Enemy Divisions During WW2]
-Chesty Puller

Warm Up

Strength/Skill
50 Hanging Power Snatch @ 45# Oly Bar

WOD
30-20-10-5-15-25 reps of:
Front Squats @135#
Double Unders
KB Swings @ 70# KB or DB

Endurance
Run: 2x10min, Rest 2 min Between intervals
Cover as much distance as possible in each of the 2 intervals.

MIND

This video stopped me in my tracks. It shows a skier (I don't know the skiers name nor where this occurred) dropping in and almost immediately getting swallowed up by an avalanche.
In the article that I pulled this video from, it says that once the snow overtook him he descended 1500 feet in 20 seconds. The video is a POV (point of view) camera mounted on the downed skiers helmet. In the video once the avalanche stops, he is buried for 4 and half minutes until his buddies locate and dig him out. He was wearing a beacon and right before he stopped sliding his glove came off and laid on the snow just above the place he was buried.
Four and half minutes may not seem like a long time but in a situation like that, I bet its an eternity. While watching the video I started thinking, what the heck would I do here. I've been around snow my whole life, skiing it, climbing and hiking through it and although, thank God, I've never been in an avalanche, I have seen the power of snow.
4.5 minutes. Watch the video, listen to his breathing as he is stuck under the snow. What would you be thinking? Would you freak out? Would you stay calm? Who would you be thinking about? What if your buddies couldn't find you, would you do whatever you could to get out? Would fear take over and leave you unable to think?
I am in no way trying to say, suck it up and get out. No sir, that's not what I'm saying. But these are real questions and part of being prepared. Just the thought may freak some people out and they may say 'I don't even want to think about that'. I say, yes think about it. And not just about what you would do or how you would react to an avalanche, but to any challenging situation you may face.
For me watching that video I found myself getting scared for the first minute and then I started thinking ok what would I do. Of course it is much easier to think that, sitting in my cozy chair in a warm room and the snow is a digital picture on my computer. But I began to think about how I might feel if it was me. Because he was found, those 270 seconds, were a gift. Frightening, of course but I guarantee you "his breakfast tomorrow will taste better than any breakfast he's ever tasted".



Avalanche Skier POV Helmet Cam Burial & Rescue in Haines, Alaska from Chappy on Vimeo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment